My Baby Loves & I

Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Son, the Negotiator

My son, Cameron, has been begging for a dog for the longest time.  I told him when we first moved into this house the landlord clearly said, "No Pets."  

The last couple of months, he has grown extremely serious about the whole 'getting a dog' thing.  He has spent hours researching dogs online.  He has checked out book upon book at his school library on the subject of dogs.  He has written essays about dogs.  He is probably the foremost expert in the subject as far as 2nd graders go.  He knows what dog he wants and he can tell you why he wants that particular dog.  He can also give you traits and characteristics of different dogs, especially the particular one he wants.

A Golden Retriever.  This is the dog he wants.  And for good reason.  These dogs are smart and fun and good with children.  If you ask Cam about it, he can tell you more than I can about them.  

I am no big fan of dogs or animals in general.  They seem like too much work to me.  I have latched on to the valid excuse that we can't have a dog because the landlord said so.  He can't argue with that, can he?  NOPE.  

I was wrong.  The whole past month he has said that when I go pay the rent he is going to ask her can he have a dog.  I kept telling him that she already said no and I doubt she will let him.  He was very determined.  He HAD to hear it for himself.  I knew he would be too shy to ask her anyways.  So, I said ok, that he could ask her.

Today was the day we went to pay our rent.  He said he was going to ask her and I didn't believe him.  We walked in her house, made small talk, and I paid my bill.  Cam kept eying her.  I knew he wanted to say it but he couldn't.  Then....he did.  He very politely asked could he have a dog.  I was so proud of him and his initiative.  She told him not in the house and he made a deal that he would put up a fence and wouldn't take him in the house.  He really took charge of the conversation!!!  He had talked his way into getting a dog!!!!  How amazing!!!  

Ok, so now I don't have the landlord to use as my excuse why we can't get a dog.  And after that, how could I NOT get him a dog?  

No comments:

Post a Comment