My Baby Loves & I

Thursday, May 5, 2011

I Expect to Hear Great Things!

While I was at my kids' school delivering birthday cupcakes for my daughter, I ran into my 7th grade teacher.  I have no idea how she recognized me after 15 years but she did.  She called my name out and I instantly had flashbacks from middle school. She asked me did I remember her.  I just looked at her like...ummmm....nooo.  She said, "It's me, Miss Cook."

Well, OMG I loved Miss Cook in 7th grade!!  She was one of my favorite teachers ever and a big part of the reason why 7th grade was the best year I had of school.

I just stood there in shock.  I didn't know what to even say to her.  She told me she remembered my face and I hadn't changed.  She told all the ladies in the front office that she had taught me in 7th grade.  All I could do was stand and look in amazement....or embarrassment....

See, Miss Cook had written in my yearbook in the 8th grade that she expected to hear great things from me.  I always remembered that.  Other teachers would write, "Good Luck Next Year." or "It's been a pleasure having you this year."

Not Miss Cook.  She wrote "You are a very special young lady.  I expect to hear great things from you in the future."

So....I am now embarrassed.  What great things can I tell her that I have accomplished in 15 years?  I walked out of there in a hurry.  I needed time to think.  I needed time to think of what I have accomplished that would make her (now Mrs. Ashby) proud.

On paper, it doesn't sound too good.  I barely graduated high school.  I didn't go to college.  I had my first child at 19.  I married and that didn't work out.  What HAVE I ACCOMPLISHED?  I guess I will continue to think about it some more...before I run into Mrs. Ashby again.
7th Grade Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment